According to documents made available to the Daily Graphic by the AfDB, the bank wrote to withdraw the sanctions it imposed in error after its attention had been drawn to the fact that the country had long made good its obligation to the bank.

The African Development Bank (AfDB) insists that the letter it sent to Ghana about sanctions resulting from the non-payment of the country’s debt is an error.

According to documents made available to the Daily Graphic by the AfDB, the bank wrote to withdraw the sanctions it imposed in error after its attention had been drawn to the fact that the country had long made good its obligation to the bank.

In a letter dated February 18, 2015, with reference number FFCO4/BSK/2015/0155, the AfDB erroneously said “sanctions have been imposed” on Ghana in respect of arrears of Bank Group bills.

However, the bank, on that same day, corrected its earlier error in a letter with reference number FFCO4/BSK/2015/0158.

The AfDB last week denied claims by Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, the running mate of the NPP’s presidential candidate for the 2016 election, that Ghana was facing sanctions for defaulting in the payment of its bills.

It explained in the statement that the inclusion of Ghana in the list of sanctioned countries was an internal administrative error.

Reference had, however, been made by some people to the letter with number FFCO4/BSK/2015/0155 and addressed to the Director of the Debt Management Division at the Ministry of Finance in which the ministry was informed of the application of the sanctions.

But speaking to the Daily Graphic and supporting their position with documents sent by email, officials of the AfDB said the letter had been sent in error because Ghana had long made payment and was in good standing.

“The error was detected after the letter had been emailed to the Ghana Ministry, and following protests we received, we checked and found out that, indeed, Ghana had long made payment,” one senior official stated.

When contacted, a Deputy Minister of Finance, Mr Ato Forson, said in addition to the letter from the AfDB, the bank also issued two separate documents on February 18 and March 13 to affirm the fact that Ghana was not and had never been under sanctions.

“You can see clearly that the 18th February letter Dr Bawumia’s spokespersons are pushing around is no defence. He deliberately relied on the earlier document that the bank had stated was issued in error to put out falsehood to tarnish the image of the country,” he said.

 

Credit: Daily Graphic Ghana

According to Ghana Daily Graphic , the state has formally charged celebrity broadcaster, Kwasi Kyei Darkwah (KKD) with rape even though the alleged 19-year-old victim has indicated she was no longer interested in pursuing the case.

The state is however yet to serve KKD with a summary of the evidence gathered.

This came to light when the case was called at the Kaneshie Magistrate Court in Accra Thursday morning. The case was subsequently adjourned to Thursday January 29, 2015 to enable the prosecutors serve KKD with a summary of the evidence and the bill of indictment for his lawyers to study. 

Graphic Online’s correspondent in court, Nana Konadu Agyeman reported that the prosecution asked for the case to be adjourned for one week when it was called Thursday morning.

After KKD is served, the committal proceedings would continue after which the case would move from the Magistrate Court to a higher court.  

KKD was present in court. He wore a blue suit with a blue and white striped tie. His iconic hat was however missing.

The Human Rights Division of the Accra High Court last week granted bail in the sum of GhȻ20,000 with two sureties to KKD on humanitarian grounds after 19 days on remand.

Withdrawal of rape case

It would be recalled that the 19-year-old lady at the centre of rape case against KKD wrote a letter that she was no longer interested in pursuing the case.

She communicated her decision to the police and made copies of the letter available to the prosecutors, the Registrar of the court and the Chief Justice.

The two page-letter, signed by the victim and issued on January 12, 2015 called on the authorities to stop the case, as she would not co-operate in the trial.

KKD’s apology

In a statement signed and issued in Accra by KKD on January 13, 2015, he asked the public to forgive him for the ridicule and disgrace he had caused to his family and that of the victim.

He blamed his shortcoming on what he described as “fleeting pleasure of the flesh” and acknowledged that he had sinned and prayed for God’s forgiveness.

He also expressed deep regret for the harm he had done the young victim and asked the media to spare her, her family and his from further agony.

Arrest

KKD was arrested at the African Regent Hotel on Saturday , December 27, 2014 following the alleged rape.

He was sent to court for the first time on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 and placed in police custody at the Airport Police Station.

He was charged with rape but he denied the allegations, saying the sexual encounter with the victim had been ‘consensual.’

He was first put before the Kaneshie District Magistrate Court on December 30, 2014 following his arrest.

The court, presided over by Mrs Adwoa Akyaama Ofosu, remanded him in police custody on the grounds that rape charges were non-bailable.

The court said the issue of consent and non-consent in a rape case would be determined at the trial stage and not at the magistrate court. For the full  details click here.

Credit: Ghana Daily Graphic

 

SPIOThe Sunyani East Member of Parliament says the circumstances surrounding the marathon vetting of Trades Minister-designate Ekwow Spio Garbrah is a simple lesson to all politicians-“Don’t open your mouth too wide.”

Kwasi Ameyaw Kyeremeh is convinced the nominee was forced to eat back his own words in what significantly will pass for the longest ever vetting session in the country’s democratic history.

Dr Garbrah was taken through his preparedness for his new job; his opinion on the Economic Partnership Agreement; the country’s depreciating cedi amongst others.

But the underlying refrain in the almost six-hour vetting was a comment made by Dr Spio Gabrah in a feature he wrote to Daily Graphic questioning the quality of appointment by the late president John Mills.

In that feature Dr Garbrah described Mills’ appointees as Team B and wondered why the Team A was left sitting on the bench.

That comment came back to haunt him as some MPs decided it was time for revenge.

Baba Jamal wondered how the nominee will now relate to the same ministers he had early on described as Team B.

Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa wanted to find out how the nominee who used to be the Communications Minister with John Mahama as Deputy, will now relate to the same person who is now the president.

In all, Dr Garbrah was calm and eloquent; forced to apologise all over again for a feature he said had been misconstrued and misinterpreted.

Speaking to Joy News after the vetting, the MP for Sunyani East Kwasi Ameyaw Kyeremeh said Dr Gabrah was largely “evasive” in his answers.

He said Dr Garbrah was “running away”  from his earlier comment because he is now “benefitting from an appointment.”

He said once the minister had apologised there was no point to belabour the issue except to say that as politician you don’t have to open our mouth too wide.

error: Content is protected !!