Africa Progress Panel Career Opportunity
The Africa Progress Panel (APP) consists of ten distinguished individuals who advocate for equitable and sustainable development for Africa. Kofi Annan, former Secretary-General of the United Nations and Nobel laureate, chairs the Panel and is closely involved in its day-to-day work.
The respected experience and prominence of Panel members, in the public and private sector, gives them a formidable capability to access a wide cross-section of society including at the highest levels in Africa and across the globe. As a result, the Panel functions in a unique policy space with the ability to target decision-making audiences, including African and other world leaders, heads of state, leaders of industry, plus a broad range of stakeholders at the global, regional, and national levels.
The Panel facilitates coalition building to leverage and broker knowledge, and convene decision-makers to influence policy and create change for Africa. The Panel has extensive networks of policy analysts across Africa. By bringing together experts with a focus on Africa, the Panel contributes to generating evidence-based policies. More about APP here.
The Office Assistant/Executive Assistant to the Executive Director is responsible for providing a range of administrative services. S/He is expected to be an experienced administrative professional who is dependable and highly organized. S/he will be able to maintain high standards of professionalism, efficiency, personal communication, discretion and good judgment. Working in a multi-cultural environment, s/he will handle a wide range of issues and will work under tight deadlines.
Under the overall supervision of the Executive Director, the Office Assistant /Executive Assistant will be responsible for performing the following duties:
– Manage the Executive Director’s schedule and agenda, including fixing appointments, travel and accommodation arrangements, maintaining an electronic calendar and handling expense claims
– Maintain the office environment; filter and channel incoming calls, correspondence and emails
– Maintain office filing and storage systems for electronic and paper documents
– Establish and maintain an electronic database of contacts, correspondence and documentation
– Prepare mailing lists and labels for newsletters, Annual Report, special events and as otherwise required
– Provide logistical support with the organization and preparation of meetings, working lunches, teleconferences and any other events. Prepares meeting room, attendance list, meeting documents, and orders and prepares refreshments
– Organize travel and accommodation arrangements for Panel members, their staff, and other invitees
– Perform special projects such as direct mail campaigns, assisting with the production of Annual Report, newsletters, and other publications
– Perform any other related work and other ad hoc tasks as directed
Skills and Competencies required
– Good oral and written communication skills
– Ability to establish priorities, multi-task and manage workload
– Self-starter who can work independently
– Fluent English; Fluency in French is a major advantage
– A minimum of 3/5 years of relevant work experience in an office setting required
– Computer literate with good IT skills including familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel and other commonly used software. (Knowledge of SharePoint would be a plus)
– Good organizational skills and record keeping (attention to detail is critical)
– Cheerful presence and people skills
– Experience of living and working in Africa an advantage
– Ability to follow directions
– Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. Remuneration is subject to Swiss social charges and taxable under Swiss/Geneva law. Only candidates with a valid work permit for Switzerland will be considered.
All applicants must submit:
– a one page cover letter
– a CV
– the names and contact details of three referees to HR@africaprogresspanel.org.
The closing date for all applications is 7 January 2015, 0900 am Central European Time.